Caverna Independent Schools, founded in 1950, is Kentucky's only school district that crosses two county lines, Hart and Barren. Students are organized into three schools, including grades six through eight in middle school and nine through 12 in the high school. The middle and high schools occupy the same building and share library, gymnasium, related arts and cafeteria facilities. Each school has its own principal and about ten faculty members. Shared are five faculty members and the guidance counselor.
In 1950, a joint meeting between the Horse Cave and Cave City school boards along with the State Board of Education led to the approval of a merger of the two city schools. Due to the decreasing of the number of students in both schools, a merger was made to make it more convenient for residents of the Hart and Barren counties. The construction for the school actually did not start for at least a year. The school was originally going to be called "Caberma" but was changed later to the more familiar Caverna. On July 3rd, a meeting was held to approve all the faculty members recomended by the superitendent for the opening of the school on September 5th.
Pride from the Past
In 1951, The Colonels won their way into Kentucky's State Tourney for basketball. This accomplishment was made by Caverna High after defeating Ft. Knox schools in the Sixth Regional championship with a score of 40 to 36, E'town with a score of 40 to 38 in the Semi-finals, and finally defeating the Columbian Red Hounds with 39 to 34. With terrific rebounds and carefully planned execution, it was truly a great time to be a proud Caverna Colonel.